Saturday, May 26, 2007

Y is for Yak

This is what we're learning today in kindergarten class. The kids will finally be finishing the alphabet, and great rejoicing will be heard throughout the school.

My 4-6 year olds are really bright, and they learn quickly. Luckily, they also have a stellar group of parents who are supportive without being pushy. They wait patiently while their kids stay after class to make sure they're satisfied, personally satisfied, I should say (I could give two hoots as to whether they color within the lines or not), with their work. They dutifully tally up their stars for the day, and encourage the kids to accumulate even more next time. They are, all in all, good parents, the kind of parents every teacher loves.

So, good job parents. You've managed to break the Chinese parent mold, you're not pushy and you're not demanding. Your kids enjoy learning and have accomplished a lot. I know you'll probably never see this, but I'm giving you a "shout out" just the same. To all parents out there with kids and school, try to remember first and foremost that your kids are there to learn and to take joy and pride in learning. Encourage that joy, that curiosity inherent in all children, and never, ever, let learning become just another chore. Your children (and their teachers) will someday thank you!

2 comments:

Indy said...

Hi Jessica,

Just found the link to your blog on FWC, and it was very interesting to read how you and your husband met, and what you are currently doing in China!

Best of luck with your pregnancy.

From a fellow foreign wife. :)

Sarah @ Baby Bilingual said...

Hi Jessica,

I'd love to hear more about your school and what the kids do in your classes. Would you be willing to answer a questionnaire for my blog, "Bringing up Baby Bilingual" (babybilingual.blogspot.com)? I like to share information about how to help kids learn/acquire other languages. Take a look at this post to see what I had in mind: http://babybilingual.blogspot.com/2006/11/success-with-preschoolers-advice-from.html

Stop by my blog or send me an email at babybilingual (at) gmail (dot) com, if you're interested!

I look forward to hearing about how you raise your son with two languages. Congratulations on your pregnancy!